Thursday, May 9, 2013

で (de) particle

There are many uses of で (de) particle, here's some of its functions:

i) Indicate where an action or event described by verb takes place.


place/location で object を verb     => describe place of action

Examples:
喫茶店でコーヒーを飲みます。(kissaten de koohii wo nomimasu)
I drink coffee at the cafe.

明日こうえんでみちこさんを会います。(ashita kouen de Michiko-san wo aimasu)
I will meet Michiko at the park tomorrow.

にわでほんを読みます。(niwa de hon wo yomimasu)
I will read books in the garden.

ii) to describe the means or method or instrument


means/method/instrument で object を verb    => describes by means/method/instrument

Example:
「ありがとう」は英語でThank Youです。("arigatou" wa Eigo de Thank You desu.)
"arigatou" using English language is Thank You.

はしでご飯を食べます。(hashi de gohan wo tabemasu.)
I eat rice with chopsticks.

じてんしゃで駅まで行きました。(jitensha de eki made ikimashita.)
I went to the station by bicycle.

iii) roughly translates into "in", "among" or "within" to describe a scope


scope で description    => indicate scope

Example:
このらラーメンは世界で一番美味しいです。(kono raamen wa sekai de ichiban oishii desu.)
This ramen is the most delicious in the world.

学校でジョギングします。(gakkou de jogingu shimasu.)
I will go jogging within the school.



No comments:

Post a Comment